[ale] redhat vs. suse

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 30 10:19:21 EST 2003

They are both rpm based.  Red Hat installs 386 based binaries, in that
they are targeted for a safer build.  SuSE installs 586/686 (can't
remember which), which to me, seem to run faster.

SuSE 8.1 has a very slick install interface, although I've heard
rumblings from others regarding problems with unique file system
configurations.  I've seem similar issues, but at the time, I thought
the problem was hardware, so I can't validate those claims.

On the other hand, a stock SuSE 8.1 install is very fast and slick.

You must buy SuSE 8.1, it is not available for download as is Red Hat
and the other distributions.

SuSE is the leading Linux vendor in Europe, much like Red Hat here in
the States.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...