[ale] Which Distro should I use?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Jan 30 10:02:50 EST 2003

I feel really sofa here. I tried to try Gentoo in the past, and I am trying
today. I can't FIND the correct iso to download. All of the mirrors that I go
to are maxed out - and I can't find the .iso on th the mirrors that are left
over.

Like, could someone help give me the URL to a WORKING "atholon-xp 524MB iso?"

Drew

On Thursday 30 January 2003 08:30, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Thursday 30 January 2003 09:13 am, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > 1. Is Gentoo "faster?"
>
> Yes.  All packages get compiled for your specific hardware with as much
> speed optimization as possible.  You will see more speed-ups on a p4 than
> on a 486.  RH is compiled for a 486, so it doesn't take advantage of many
> possible optimizations.
>
> OTOH, it takes a damn long time to install.
>
> > Someone on this list mentioned that Gentoo may be noticably "faster"
> > than RedHat. I have a need for more speed, and I am not wanting to
> > research why RedHat 8.0 is crashing on the two boxes that I have it on.
> > I have heard positive things about Gentoo, and I like the apt-get
> > functionality that I added to RedHat (which is allegedly more like how
> > Gentoo manages things). Also, while I am at it. Microsoft had some sort
> > of 3rd party software that would help you get it to run faster (by
> > telling you what's running and giving tips on what you can remove).
> >
> > 2. Is there something like that for Linux?
>
> "ps -aux" works pretty well.  RedHat, KDE and others have some reasonable
> UIs for checking out what you are running at each runlevel.  Assuming that
> you are booting into X, "ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S*" will also tell you.
>
> >  I want to try to streamline my box to try to get more speed.
> >
> > 3. I am stuck with the hardware that I have (just bought another AMD
> > computer - by the way be greatful that you guys live where hardware is
> > cheap. Stuff is 30-50% more here.) but I can add more RAM.
> >
> > Will doubling the RAM make a noticable difference?
>
> Depends on how much you have.  I found that 128MB can be kinda small when
> running KDE and a big java app, but if you already have 512MB probably
> not.
>
> Michael

Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com