[ale] Which Distro should I use?

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jan 30 09:18:59 EST 2003

I'm not sure what you guys mean by faster?  To me linux is the a kernel
and not th software behind it.  So maybe RedHat's KDE/Gnmode crap is
slowing you down.  Or running stuff you do not need ran.

After a fresh RH install I do many things.  I clean our crap I do not
want ran at startup like the mouse daemon.  Next, I remove all my
mingettys except tty1 and tty2.  All that does not necessarily gain me
more speed,  It just makes bootup go much faster and saves a few bytes
of memory here and there.

But I think that RH8.0 loads both Gnome and KDE's libraries.  That does
not make a difference on my devel machine because I run KDE as my
desktop and Evolution as my mail program.  I don't think KDE hsa a good
offering when it comes to mail.  KMail does not cut it.