[ale] alterntive to sendmail

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 29 17:40:25 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:

> I always ignored the sendmail/procmail/whatever mail until now.
>
> Redhat 8.0 out of the box with sendmail & procmail installed (default sendmail as the MTA) does not even work enough to allow me to send mail within the box.
>
> What was the alternative of choice to sendmail/procmail....?      Since I am too stupid to deduce anything of use from the man pages....
>
> Just point me.  I can do my own reading...

Red Hat comes with postfix, which is probably the best alternative for most
applications.

You can switch to it using alternatives:

alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

That said, Sendmail should work for you as well. You might want to take a
look at the Red Hat docs

<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html>

Your main problem is probably that RH ships sendmail (and postfix) configured
not to accept network connections by default. If you want to accept
connections, you have to configure it to do so.

Change

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, restart the server, and you should be set

later,
chris