[ale] Two console users on one system--is it possible?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Jan 29 09:13:42 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 06:39 pm, Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> >>I'm pretty sure you'll need to be in X 4.* to get this to work.  The
> >>config has changed quite a bit there.  For keyboards you have entries
> >>like:
> >>
> >>Section "InputDevice"
> >>     Identifier "Keyboard1"
> >>     Driver "Keyboard"
> >>     Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> >>     Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> >>     Option "XkbOptions" ""
> >>EndSection
> >>
> >>And then there will be references to the Identifier elsewhere, as in
> >> the ServerLayout:
> >>
> >>Section "ServerLayout"
> >>     Identifier "layout1"
> >>     InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
> >>     InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
> >>     Screen "screen1"
> >>EndSection
> >
> > yes, I use 4.x.  But what device is your keyboard?  In the
> > XF86Config-4 I see where my mouse is /dev/psaux, but there is no
> > device file for the keyboard.  Is that a hidden option somewhere?
>
> It's in my post you responded to, just above 'Section "InputDevice"

Huh?  Just above that part you wrote

> >>I'm pretty sure you'll need to be in X 4.* to get this to work.  The
> >>config has changed quite a bit there.  For keyboards you have entries
> >>like:

There is no content in that paragraph, or I'm too stupid to see it.

I'll try one more time.  In the section InputDevice it says:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Keyboard1"
     Driver "Keyboard"
     Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
     Option "XkbLayout" "us"
     Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

So, which is the keyboard device?  All it says is 'Driver "Keyboard"' which
does not tell me which device (and I mean linux device as in /dev/xxx) it
is.  If I knew how to distiguish two keyboards into two differenct
InputDevice entries then I'd be able to use X as you suggest.

--Michael