[ale] Internet via modem

Da Splinter da_real_splinter at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 15:40:11 EST 2003

Since you put it that way...  I think I will go with an external modem.  That seems to solve a lot of headaches.
 "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
The greatest advantage to an external modem is the ability to reset the#$&* thing WHEN it locks up. Internal modems require the entire machineto be power cycled. OK for Winblows, not OK for Linux.Get an external modem. I have an external USRobotics 56k Voice Fax modemPro with both serial and usb interface. I use on the usb connection andrun voice mail and fax stuff on it. The only bugger is I can't use theattached phone to record my outgoing message as some thing is poorlywritten somewhere (usb or voice, I don't know) and as soon as the systemtouches the modem , BANG! hard lock. So I just call and leave a messagewith the outgoing message and transfer the file over. Fax works fine.On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:27, Geoffrey wrote:> But, 3com (USR) makes a very nice internal real modem as well, in the > event you want to say the desktop space and have the available slot.> > You can identify a winmodem pretty easily from the minimum requirements. > They require at least a Pentium 166, and lately I've seen some that > require even more.> > I was helping a friend yesterday set up a new machine and was checking > out the disc that came with his modem. It had Red Hat drivers. Lucent > chipset so I'm pretty sure it was a winmodem, although it did not list > minimum system req.> > Dow Hurst wrote:> > Just purchasing an external modem will take care of the Winmodem crap.> > Dow> > -- James P. Kinney III \Changing the mobile computing world/CEO & Director of Engineering \ one Linux user /Local Net Solutions,LLC \ at a time. /770-493-8244 \.___________________________./GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S. Physics) Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D 0659 6190 ADC3 829C 6CA7 > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc Do you Yahoo!?