[ale] Internet via modem

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 28 15:11:03 EST 2003

The greatest advantage to an external modem is the ability to reset the
#$&* thing WHEN it locks up. Internal modems require the entire machine
to be power cycled. OK for Winblows, not OK for Linux.

Get an external modem. I have an external USRobotics 56k Voice Fax modem
Pro  with both serial and usb interface. I use on the usb connection and
run voice mail and fax stuff on it. The only bugger is I can't use the
attached phone to record my outgoing message as some thing is poorly
written somewhere (usb or voice, I don't know) and as soon as the system
touches the modem , BANG! hard lock. So I just call and leave a message
with the outgoing message and transfer the file over. Fax works fine.

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:27, Geoffrey wrote:
> But, 3com (USR) makes a very nice internal real modem as well, in the
> event you want to say the desktop space and have the available slot.
>
> You can identify a winmodem pretty easily from the minimum requirements.
>   They require at least a Pentium 166, and lately I've seen some that
> require even more.
>
> I was helping a friend yesterday set up a new machine and was checking
> out the disc that came with his modem.  It had Red Hat drivers.  Lucent
> chipset so I'm pretty sure it was a winmodem, although it did not list
> minimum system req.
>
> Dow Hurst wrote:
> > Just purchasing an external modem will take care of the Winmodem crap.
> > Dow

 This is a digitally signed message part