[ale] SuSE 8.1 installer gotcha

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Tue Jan 28 00:42:34 EST 2003

Forgot to mention that the LVM config data wasn't written to disk in /etc/lvmtab properly during the install.  I do not know why this happened but I was forced to recreate the info using the LVM Yast2 module.  Essentially, I built it again after the install was done.  Now, I am stable with two disk joined as one with XFS running on top.  Just a gotcha to remember and SuSE 8.1 to fix.

My /etc/fstab looks like this now:
/dev/hda3 / xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2 swap swap pri=42 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
/dev/system/lvm_home /home xfs defaults 1 2

/home is the mount for the logical volume.  The /etc/lvmtab looks like this:
system

which is the name of the volume group.  The lvmtab.d directory contains a file named "system" that I have learned yet what it is.  My first thought would be that it's existence there shows that it is mounted.  Just learning about this so haven't read the docs thru yet.  Just thought I'd post this for those working with SuSE 8.1.  The /etc/lvmconf directory contains the same type of file and is name "system.conf".  There are two possible leftover attempts from my clumsy efforts in creating the initial volume called "system.conf.1.old" and "system.conf.2.old" located here as well.  I will continue on in reading the fine manuals,
Dow