[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Jan 28 00:03:03 EST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 18:23, Jason Day wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:41:09PM -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > GREAT!
> > So we finally found an EASY solution for the ext3 recovery?!
> > Stick to ext2. I finally feel like I contributed something to this
> > wonderful group, and I am taking all of my boxes back to ext2.
>
> Just because you had one bad experience that happened to involve an ext3
> filesystem is no reason to abandon ext3.

Please give 3 benefits of ext3 over ext2 or xfs. I admit, that I usually take
the quicker and easier way to the solution. I was only using ext3 so that I
would not have to run fsck after rebooting after a crash - but now I know
that the cost of ext3 is not worth the reward.

Do you have evidence that the
> filesystem itself is what caused the corruption?

No. The filesystem did not cause the corruption - just made it harder to
recover. I have had more than 1 bad experience with ext3, and I consider the
fact that when I lost data, I could not quickly find cheap competent help
(that would result in data recovery).

> [snip]
>
> > I still suffer from weird crashes (seems like everyday) on my RedHat 8.0
> > boxes. I'll try Geoffrey's tip about the AMD configuration first. I am
>
> Yet you still blame ext3?  It seems more likely that there is either a
> problem with your hardware or with your hardware in combination with
> RedHat 8.

No. These crashes are unrelated to ext3. It seems to have to do with recent
upgrades of RedHat Linux (like 7.2 does not have the problem until I upgrade
the kernel) I didn't stay with 7.3 long enough to know and 8.0 has the
problem. Sorry for the confusion.

--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown