[ale] RH 8.0 won't recognize my NIC

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 27 22:36:31 EST 2003

There may be an interrupt conflict. If the card was made at the same
time as the old clunky box was, it may need to have some jumpers moved
around. If it's an early PCI card, many were not auto-play jobs and had
to have an eeprom set with a (usually DOS) program.

It may be easier to grab a pair of $10 (or $2 used) cheap nics (RealTek
work OK, not speed demons but great for DSL sharing) and install them
one at a time so you can easily get the MAC address and IO ports for
correctly designating which is internal and external nic.