[ale] Re: [ale-admin] can't seem to post.

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Mon Jan 27 21:20:18 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:47:53 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

>I have forwarded these concerns to Chris, who administers the machine.
>He did respond saying that his provider was being blacklisted by SPEWS.

SPEWS isn't the only problem.  I use relays.osirusoft.com, which
includes SPEWS, among other blocklists, but I've got the ALE mailserver
whitelisted, which overrides any rejections based on blocklists.  I've
got my own domain and mailserver, and if ALE mail to me was being
blocked via SPEWS, it would show up in my mail logs, and I'm not seeing
any blocking there.  I did make an attempt to subscribe via another
@benshome.net address, and the confirmation email for that never
arrived (nor do I show any attempts to deliver it in the log).
Subscribing via an @mindspring.com address worked fine, which is how
I'm seeing the list now.

This seems to imply that mail from the ALE machine to my domain is
being dropped for some reason.  I did move my dynamic dns service from
hn.org to zoneedit.com 3 days before ALE mail stopped, so it's possible
that a communications problem between room17.com and my new zonedit DNS
servers is keeping the ale mail servers from picking up the proper MX
for my domain and hampering delivery.  I seem to be getting mail to the
domain from the rest of the net ok, though, so that doesn't seem very
likely to me.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively