[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 27 20:31:25 EST 2003

Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Jason Day wrote:
>

>>Just because you had one bad experience that happened to involve an ext3
>>filesystem is no reason to abandon ext3.  Do you have evidence that the
>>filesystem itself is what caused the corruption?
>

> Maybe I'm missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I have an interest
> in digital forensics and filesystem recovery due to my insatiable appetite
> for all things related to computer security. But I can't help but wonder
> if I'm the only one still performing any sort of backup

ME! ME! I DO!  I back up, really I DO!

I agree with you Jonathan, too many folks don't take the correct
measures ahead of time.  As for my recent exploits with recovery tools,
I've had one in the recent past.  Once when I deleted a source code file
after a days worth of work on it, thus my backup would do me no good.

> I have
> accidentally deleted files on darn near every filesystem that's been used
> in my lifetime, and the very last thing that crossed my mind at any point
> was recovering the file from the disk. In today's world, backup solutions
> are abundant, affordable and easy to make use of. Have I ever deleted a
> file that I could not restore from backup? Many times. Did I recover all
> of them? No. Have I ever made the same mistake twice? Uhh, yeah...I
> confess. I'm human. Do I think that *nix systems are somehow inferior to
> others because it does not anticipate my mistakes and make adjustments for
> them? Hell no. I'm not criticizing anyone for debating the issue. I feel
> it is definately worthy of debate. But I must ask, which solution would
> you consider more valuable to the Linux community?
>
> 1) "Magic undeletes"
>
> 2) True "bare metal restore" capabilities via boot disk or write protected
> boot partition.

I like it.  Quite valuable.

> 3) Better forensics tools.

I want them even more.  I think these would be more valuable.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...