[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 28 03:17:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:46:39 -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

>So apparently there is a way to convert the ext3 back to ext2 (either by
>renaming the filesystem and claiming that it is ext2 - which I believe was my
>"mistake") or by reformatting ext2 and recovering the data from there!

Quoting from a RH manual:
Reverting to an ext2 File System

To revert a partition, you must first unmount the partition by logging in as
root and typing:  umount /dev/hdbX
In the above command, replace /dev/hdb with the device name and X with the
partition number.  For the rest of this section, the sample commands will use
<hdb1> for these values.

Next, change the file system type to ext2 by typing the following command
as root:
           /sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdb1

Note: that may be a -zero or a -"cap_o" in the command above and I can't tell
which. The man page for tune2fs should have it, only I can't reach it as my
Linux box has crashed (bad memory bank did me in)

Check the partition for errors by typing the following command as root:

          /sbin/e2fsck -y /dev/hdbi

Then mount the partition again as ext2 file system by typing

            mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 /mount/point

replacing "mount/point" with the mount point of the partition

Next, remove the .journal file at the root level of the partition by
changing to the directory where it is mounted and tying:

           rm -f .journal

If you permanently change the partition to ext2, remember to update the
/etc/fstab file.

Hope this helps.

Sean,
who will be trying tomorrow to reinstall RH8.0