[ale] OT: plethora of cell phones

Mike Lockhart backpacker at hikers.net
Sun Jan 26 18:08:29 EST 2003

Any cellphone or landline phone, with service or not, its mandated by
the FCC to provide 911 service.  You can walk in to a 40 year old house
that has not service on its lines, plug up a phone, and promptly call
911.

On another note, I found out the hard way a while back that you have to
make sure to lock the keys on your phone.  Evidently Nokias (don't know
if they still do it), by default had the key "9" programmed to "*911",
which is the same as "911".  I promptly fixed that issues when the cops
showed up at my house (they looked up the address tagged to the phone,
and evidently gwinnett county has some basic cellphone triangulation
setup, as they told me they were able to determine my general location)

- mike