[ale] Is reinstalling my distro necessary?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 26 12:33:34 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:57:21AM -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> If I change hardware?  For example can I install my distro (slack) on
> computer A and then pop the drive into computer B without any
> detremental effects?  I understand that my kernel build will be specific
> (with any motherboard specific options); but is there anything thing
> that I'm overlooking (assuming my architecture stays the same (x86).

It depends on how different the architectures are, and how clever the
distro's installer is.  For example, I once installed RedHat 7.1 on an
Athlon system, then tried to put the drive in an old pentium I.  I got a
kernel panic at boot, and finally figured out that the RedHat installer
had installed 686-optimized RPMs, which would not work on the older
pentium.

As long as your distro used generic 386-compiled code, you should be
able to swap the drives fine.  You will, of course, get all kinds of
errors when you boot, but you should be able to get to a shell.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9