[ale] New worm destablized Internet

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 25 22:26:03 EST 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 06:56 pm, Transam wrote:
> ATM security actually is rather bad.  This is the realy reason why there is
> a limit of $300-$1000 on the amount you can withdraw daily -- to limit the
> losses in case of a security problem.  (I worked for one of the larger
> vendors in that market, Stratus Computer, for five years.  I don't consider
> it appropriate for me to discuss most of the vulnerabilities.)

There are loopholes in the law that make it possible to rip off banks through
ATM's all day long. And you don't need to know a thing about computer
security to get away with it. But in the time I worked with banks, I never
heard of anybody actually hacking the ATM network. Here, as in other areas of
computer security, the human factor plays a much larger role than the
technical factor. I think Kevin Mitnick would agree.