[ale] New worm destablized Internet

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 25 16:58:41 EST 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 04:46 pm, Adrin wrote:
> Just heard on the news that at least one bank is having trouble with ATMs.
> Kind of makes you wonder what kind of security they have on their system.
> And I thought the ATM network was separate from Internet?

All of the ATM's I know about are on a separate network from the Internet.
Think about it. ATM's have been around a lot longer than the Internet. And
why would anyone in their right mind hool ATM's up to the Internet. Remember:
Banking is tightly regulated. And in spite of the popular perception that
government can't do anything right, the ATM network, in my experience, is
very secure and works very well.