[ale] libs install question: RPM -U update vs -i install

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 25 07:49:23 EST 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 01:07 am, aaron wrote:
> Looking at the results of "rpm -Uvh" with the latest, stable stdc++
> package, a very, very long list of at least 50 dependencies scrolls by.
> Before another shipment of stupid arrives to hose my entire system, I
> thought I'd ask the gurus:
>   Is there a SAFE way to install or update a major lib RPM package like
> this? Will running "rpm -ivh" ADD the new lib version without removing
> the old?

Upgrade to the new stdc++ libs, but also install:

compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110

That one keeps the apps dependent on the old version from complaining. That's
what works on my RedHat box. I don't know if Mandrake makes the same RPM
available, but it makes sense that they would.

By the way, if you want the best KDE, then 3.1 is incredible. I believe there
are Mandrake RPM's out there.