[ale] libs install question: RPM -U update vs -i install

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Jan 25 01:07:02 EST 2003

I did an RPM ooops on my RH 7.3 system:

I'm currently stuck in a long cascade of package installations which
started when I went to update my Opera browser from 6.03 beta to the
latest 6.11 RPM. The Opera releases always come in 2 flavors, one with Qt
lib functions statically compiled in and one where Qt is dynamically
linked. I decided to use the later, figuring it was a good motivation to
update my slightly aging Qt 2.x. lib to accommodate a noted dependency.

Sooo....

I Downloaded an RPM of the latest and greatest, Qt 3.0.5. I did my usual
"rpm -Uvh" update install line and a list of a dozen or so dependencies
scrolled by, mostly for various "K[name]" kde apps and utilities. Then my
brain pan accepted a truckload delivery of stupid by assuming that a link
would naturally be installed with the Qt lib package that would point all
those 2.x K-proggies to the new (backward compatible?) 3.0 library. I go
ahead and do an "rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force"

Ooops.

That pretty much hosed all my KDE apps, including one I use a whole bunch,
Kmail. Hi ho. Annoying, but not a total killer. I'll just have to "source
forge" ahead and update my KDE stuff now...

Some 12 package downloads and installs later, I've got most of KDE
revived, including the new Kmail and a couple other K-apps I like to have
around. There are still a couple graphics related apps I'd like to get
working again as well, but the only RPM's I find are from mdk, and their
dependencies are calling for me to update my stdc++ lib.

Looking at the results of "rpm -Uvh" with the latest, stable stdc++
package, a very, very long list of at least 50 dependencies scrolls by.
Before another shipment of stupid arrives to hose my entire system, I
thought I'd ask the gurus:
  Is there a SAFE way to install or update a major lib RPM package like
this? Will running "rpm -ivh" ADD the new lib version without removing
the old?

Info appreciated!
peace
(after justice)