[ale] Bellsouth to Speakeasy?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 24 23:11:27 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 07:56:55PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> >Geoffrey wrote:
> >

> >>I guess it depends on your point of view.  They are blocking port 25
> >>then, just providing you a service to use for that purpose.   But some
> >>folks prefer to run their own mail server.
> >

> >But I *AM* running my own mail server.  In fact, I have two SMTP servers
> >running, and an IMAP server.
>
> So then they're not blocking your port 25.

Pardon me for jumping in, but I believe they block port 25 *outbound*,
not inbound.  The reason for doing this is to force people to use their
ISP's SMTP server to send mail, which virtually eliminates spam coming
from that ISP's network.  If all ISPs did this it would probably cut
down the spam quite a bit.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9