[ale] 'toast' installation?

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Thu Jan 23 19:21:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:06, John Wells wrote:
> Really?  15 installs so far...no problems whatsoever.  I'd suspect
> hardware before the software.  I had a bad memory module once that would
> cause an install to crap out with segfaults consistently...

Well... Yes. I've had installation problems twice in 12 installs. The
machines that had the installation problems ultimately had memtest86 run
on them as well as every other diagnostic tool available (SCSI tools and
ect..). Both machines passed every test we could throw at them including
multiple kernel compiles. FWIW, one machine was an AMD Athlon XP
(1.6GHz) and the other an Intel Coppermine (1GHz). In both cases, the
installation program would ask to have a new cd inserted. Once the cd
was inserted and the "OK' button was pushed, the machine would refuse to
mount the cd. It would happen randomly, alternating between cd no.2 and
cd no. 3. Also, I have since used these same cd's to do about 6 installs
with no problems (These cd's were purchased from RH, they were not ISO's
that were downloaded). My friends out at VA-Software have had the
*exact* same experience that I have just described.

Best

Marvin Dickens