[ale] Bellsouth to Speakeasy?

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Thu Jan 23 21:53:55 EST 2003

Geoffrey wrote:

> David Corbin wrote:
>

>> Klepinger, Aaron wrote:
>

>>> Since Bellsouth is now blocking port 25 outbound (not that I am
>>> using it,
>>> but if I did I'd be pissed), I am thinking of switching to Speakeasy to
>>> get a static IP address and true unfiltered internet.
>>>

>> They're not really blocking it.  Just requiring you to go through
>> their SMTP server for outbound use.  It's the act of a responsible
>> ISP to reduce SPAM.
>

> Might you expand on this?  If you use their SMTP, then it doesn't
> matter if they're blocking your port 25.  They could be blocking port
> 25 on their customers.

What I mean, is they're not preventing you from sending mail via SMTP,
nor from receiving via SMTP.  They're only requiring that the outbound
SMTP pass through their hands.  Yes, technically, they are blocking port
25, but to me it's a no impact thing.  Not like, if they blocked another
port (say 143, because they don't want me to read IMAP or something else
stupid).

>>> I can see the financial reasoning for this, Bellsouth built the
>>> infrastructure/facilities, so they *should* get the customers, but
>>> cant I
>>> have my cake and eat it too? :)
>>>

>> That's a very libertarian view point, but that's not how things
>> generally work.  Bellsouth is so heavily regulated, they could
>> probabably build an entierly new physical network, and be requried to
>> sell access to it.
>

> Huh? Oh, you were kidding, good joke!  HaHaHa.

No, I was completely serious.  What did you think was a joke?