[ale] Making sense of the Java mess....

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Jan 23 09:42:49 EST 2003

On Thursday 23 January 2003 09:12 am, John Wells wrote:
> In my current position as Systems Analyst, I do quite a bit of Java
> programming.  Unfortunately, most of the technologies we're currently
> using are antiquated, with the few Servlets/JSPs I do maintain/develop
> the closest thing to "newer" technologies.
>
> While I have experience and some understanding in J2EE, I'd like to
> bring myself up to speed.  Besides J2EE, I'd really like to get into
> some of the some of the other cool technologies (Jakarta comes to
> mind...struts, etc.).
>
> Problem is, where to begin?  I'm not one to enjoy reading online
> tutorials, and the ones on sun's site often fork into others (i.e., you
> read half-way through a chapter and they say "wait, you need to go read
> the java beans guide before you continue").
>
> Is there a good book out there that provides an introduction
> encompassing most of these technologies?  If not, what would Ale'rs
> recommend as a good starting point or learning path?

If you can get your boss to spring for it I'd recommend attending a couple
conferences.  For instance, the JBoss BootCamp will be in Atlanta next
weekend.  http://www.jboss.org/services/training/bootcamp.jsp

I went to the AJSS a couple of months ago and there were lots of tutorials
on structs, xdoclet, etc.  I liked it a lot--I thought all the speakers
were of very high quality.  Check out http://www.completeprogrammer.net/
for their list of upcoming conferences.  The next one is Austin in Feb.

But then, I'm a former academic and like learning in lecture situations.
YMMV.

Michael