[ale] Bellsouth to Speakeasy?

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Thu Jan 23 05:27:27 EST 2003

Klepinger, Aaron wrote:

>I used BSouth port 25 to send about 3 weeks ago to send out a solicited bulk
>e-mail.  Worked fine for me.
>
>-aaron

They're not really blocking it.  Just requiring you to go through their
SMTP server for outbound use.  It's the act of a responsible ISP to
reduce SPAM.

>Has anyone had problems qualify'ing for DSL from Speakeasy that is
>currently connected to Bellsouth DSL?  3 years ago, I was unable to get
>DSL because my home was too far away from the CO.  Bellsouth built a
>"remote CO" which got around the distance limitation...

I'm in the same boat, and so is a friend of mine.  I tried Covad and was
told they couldn't service me.  My friend tried Speakeasy (they were
willing to run "a special" line that would give him a wopping IDSL line,
but couldn't give him ADSL).

> I am wondering if
>Bellsouth only allows themselves to service resdidential DSL customers
>from these remote CO's, and wont let 3rd party companies in.

It's not entirely accurate, and I'm still soliciting a better
understanding of this from various sources, but that's not entirely
accurate. I had DirectTV, which was down over a Bellsouth line (so they
will let others in).  Rumor had it that they paid for access to the
"remote CO" that others have not paid for.

>I can see the financial reasoning for this, Bellsouth built the
>infrastructure/facilities, so they *should* get the customers, but cant I
>have my cake and eat it too? :)

That's a very libertarian view point, but that's not how things
generally work.  Bellsouth is so heavily regulated, they could
probabably build an entierly new physical network, and be requried to
sell access to it.

David