[ale] Swap in use when free physical exists?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Jan 22 15:23:47 EST 2003

John -

What you're seeing there is quite normal.  My general advice is, don't
be so hung up about how MUCH swap is or is not being taken up but rather
what the swap I/O is, which, in your case, will be negligible and will
remain so unless you pull some stunt like make -j 20 on your kernel
source or some such.  The kernel has simply made an anticipatory
decision to stuff some memory content into swap, thinking that you won't
miss it.

- Jeff