[ale] [OT] Sendmail (?) woes

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Wed Jan 22 07:31:25 EST 2003

per O'Reilly's bat book "Sendmail"
p.317

Many older MTA's on the network ignore MX records, and some Sun sites
wrongly run the non-MX version of sendmail (that is they should use
/usr/lib/sendmail.mx).  Because of this, you will occasionally find some
sites that insist on sending mail to a host even though that host has been
explicitly MX'd to another."

It goes on to say that "failure to obey MX records is a clear violation of
published network protocols. RFC1123, *Host Requirements*, section 5.3.5,
notes that obeying MX records is mandatory."

translation: some Sun sites send mail to the *host* (i.e. the MTA - not the
MUA), that sent the mail i.e. your sendmail host name, which is what you are
indicating.

Also, fudging your "From;" line is contradictory to RFC1123 (which modified
RFC822).

Another possible solution also is on p.544 it talks about "a common problem
with SysV versions of /bin/mail is its annoying habit of prepending a "From
" line to the beginning of each message, even if one is there already."

Another thing is that Sendmail uses the concept of an *envelope*, which is
NOT the same as header info - so Sendmail could not be changing it's
*envelope* regardless of your header info.

A slight perusal of the Sendmail book also revealed several other things
that could be wrong.  Masquerading was a whole section.  The book was around
1020 pages so there is a lot to it.  I would suggest a perusal of it to help
in fixing this problem and also to help in administering Sendmail (a huge
beast in and of itself).

Daniel J. Bernstein.  Associate Math Professsor at Univ. of Chicago.  Went
to Berkeley, CA for undergrad degree.  Wrote qmail, tinydns, and many
articles on stuff that is broke w/ regards to the Internet.

website is at http://cr.yp.to/djb.html

good stuff, especially daemontools, ucspi, etc.  Writes also on the many
many problems of Sendmail and BIND.

Greg