[ale] new laptop and wireless w/ *nix

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 02:01:28 EST 2003

hey i realize this is a linux group but i figure unix and bsd cant be off
topic ;) im getting a mac and since it comes with a wireless card was
interested in war walking to some degree but mostly i was moreso
interested in the whole wireless epidemic. currently im gathering plans
for cheep repeaters and antennas to extend the range, from what ive
gatherd theres 2 types of antenna the soup/coffee can (mainly line of
sight) and the pringles (regular wire on a stick) my question is tho i see
how they can get a pringles to transmit 10 miles, does that mean it can
also recieve just as far?  anyone done this stuff and got any fun stories
and pointers? im thinking we need to set up a "free net" of wireless solar
powerd access points and lan the planet :-p anyone for recreating the internet?