[ale] what log file do I need to read?

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 21 09:51:01 EST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 02:28 pm, Joe wrote:
> And back that puppy up!

ah, yep! figured that. <grin>

Prowling through /var/log/message it looks like the
system is having a lot of trouble lining up the (software)
raid structure. Box has two identical 60 gig drives,
Maxtors, I think.
What is happening is that, randomly it seems, an application
will crash. Might be Konqueror, might be a solitaire game,
might be OO. I get the KDE "So sorry, your application has
crashed" window. It is possible to extract some data from
that window, but it means nothing to me.  And then, starting
yesterday afternoon, the entire X-window/keyboard/mouse
system dies without warning.
None of this was happening earlier this month.  I went to
Denver for a week (and turned off the computer) and this
odd behavior started up when I came back. No new software
has been added. Only thing I have done is run "up2date"
Sunday evening -- but about all that updated was vi, which
I don't use. <grin>
I am wondering if this is a hardware problem of a KDE/RedHat
conflict.

Sean