[ale] Crystal Reports: alternatives?

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Jan 21 08:33:57 EST 2003

Short answer: No.

Long answer: depends on what you want.

I spent an 8 hr day looking about a yr. ago (when I was employed) and found
1 or 2 Java based reporting apps.  There are several industry specific apps
that do reporting, but that was it.  Microsoft bought up (or became a
majority owner) of Crystal and found out that they were the only game in
town so they upped the server fees accordingly.  Especially when they found
out the scope of usage in a mega-corporation and on networks.

OTOH, this could be seen as an opportunity for a web developer to write them
(web based reports) custom made for a company - which I have done.  Since
any report app that you are looking for is heavily OS dependant, I doubt
that one could be made, since there are a a lot of different server/OS
combinations.

Greg