[ale] running two X servers

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 20 18:13:04 EST 2003

How would one arrange things so that one of these instances of X was
running a remote wm on another box?  Hmmmm?

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 22:53, Geoffrey wrote:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > AWESOME!!!  This should be carefully written up and submitted to the
> > linuxdocs people. A mini-howto would be fantastic. Great work, Jason!
>
> Absolutely.

> >>I've been doing this for a while now to run games in wine.  I kept
> >>having various problems when running games in wine: like moving the
> >>mouse to the edge of the screen and inadvertantly switching to a
> >>different virtual desktop.  I also discovered that wine tends to work
> >>better if you set your X resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 and 16-bit
> >>color.  So I did a bit of research and figured out how to start a
> >>different X server.
> >>
> >>First, I added this to my XF86Config file:
> >>
> >>Section "Screen"
> >>        Identifier      "wine"
> >>        Device          "Generic Video Card"
> >>        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
> >>        DefaultDepth    16
> >>
> >>        Subsection "Display"
> >>                Depth 16
> >>                Modes "800x600" "640x480"
> >>        EndSubsection
> >>        Subsection "Display"
> >>                Depth 24
> >>                Modes "800x600" "640x480"
> >>        EndSubsection
> >>EndSection
> >>
> >>Then, for each game, I create a gnome panel launcher with this for a
> >>command:
> >>  xinit /home/jday/bin/game.sh -- :1 -screen wine
> >>
> >>The game.sh is a shell script customized for the game I want to play.
> >>For example, I use this script to launch NeverWinter Nights:
> >>
> >>#!/bin/bash
> >>xscreensaver-command -display :0 -throttle
> >>cd /win/c/Games/NeverwinterNights/nwn
> >>wine --debugmsg -all nwmain
> >>xscreensaver-command -display :0 -unthrottle
> >>
> >>Once the game is goint, I can use C-A-F7 to switch back to my desktop if
> >>I need to.  And when I exit the game, the second X session ends,
> >>returning me to my desktop.  Pretty cool :)

> The latest, most widespread virus?  Microsoft end user agreement.
> Think about it...

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com