[ale] HD size limit?

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Mon Jan 20 14:24:24 EST 2003

hi joe,
    I got adventurous one evening and decided to try just that.  put the
jumper on the correct pins on the 40GB drive (it was set to 32GB), restarted
the box...and couldn't get past HD detection in POST.  the box would hang
after correctly identifying the boot drive.  durn.  I had thought that linux
would do its own hardware detection, which is why I reset the drive to 40GB.
apparently, the BIOS had other thoughts on the subject.  I just found a BIOS
patch upgrade from a german fellow that I'm going to try (resets the drive
size limit to 128GB).  thanks for the note.

-Bob K.

on 1/21/03 4:55 AM, Joe at jknapka at earthlink.net wrote:

> "Robert E. Karaffa, II" <rkaraff at emory.edu> writes:
>
>> hi folks,
>>     I've got an old ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 mobo running mandrake 8.2 that acts as
>> an mp3 server for my home LAN.  256RAM, 5GB boot drive, 40GB storage drive.
>> problem is that the award bios limits HD size to 32GB.
>
> Don't worry about it. As long as the BIOS understands the geometry
> of the drive you *boot* from, all will be well - Linux does its
> own detection of the hardware. So boot it and run "fdisk /dev/hdb"
> (or whatever the 40G drive is) and you should be able to partition
> the entire drive.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Joe

Robert E. Karaffa, II