[ale] changing # of virtual consoles

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 20 00:15:55 EST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> I'm been playing with the multiple X servers thing to see how many I
> might fire up.  Anway, I commented out the entires for all but one
> virtual console, rebooted and sure enough, I had one.
>
> But, when I started X, it still comes up in vc7, anyone know how to tell
> X to start at a lower vc?  I figured, stopping the gettings was
> sufficient, but I guess I'm wrong.

It should've been sufficient. On my laptop, X always runs on VC 3 (regular)
and 4 (800x600 60hz that works with older projectors better than regular).
All I ever change is /etc/inittab (well, and make a 2nd XF86Config).

BTW, those of you playing with multiple X servers on one box -- be aware
that some video hardware won't support two different graphic mode accesses.
Some of the built-in video chipsets Dell is using in newish desktop machines
can only stably run one X server because of this, for example. With most
cards, it'll work fine. With some, it'll either lock randomly or refuse to
start more than one X. Things get even more confusing if you try to run
multiple X servers at different color depths. Again, works with some cards,
not with others.

later,
chris