[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jan 19 19:41:37 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Yes. But as I recall, you needed help finding *where* the undeleted files went
> (even as good as you are).

It was quite a simple process, except for the fact that I was recovering
such a large number of files.  As follows:

e2undel -d /dev/hda -s path -a -t

1. Asks you for a user name of the deleted file.
2. Asks a deletion time interval (used to reduce the list of deleted items)
3. You are then provided a list of the deleted files, by name, and you
enter the associated inode # for the file you want to undelete.  The
inode and filename are show in a table format.

> The last easy recovering tool that I used in
> Windows was called "Recoverall" (I think). There were many other freeware
> programs to choose from. Before that, I used something that was called
> "undelete" which worked from the DOS prompt.
>
> NOTE: I said "easy" to use and "works well."

Same would apply to e2undel.

> It is okay for Windows to do something better than Linux. Logically, if
> Windows was available before Linux - then there was a time that Windows was
> better at *everything.* Hopefully, Linux will continue to grow and there will
> be better software for undeleting data in the future.
>
> This will happen when we first accept that there IS a weakness.

The weakness is in the user not properly backing up their data.  This is
outlined extensively throughout Linux documentation.  The fact that a
Windows user brings their poor habits with them to the Linux world does
not indicate there is a problem with Linux.

Whether you deleted the file yourself, or you lost a hard drive,
reasonable back solutions will protect you in most cases.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...