[ale] Connection From 192.168.1.x Requires Host Name

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Sun Jan 19 14:49:24 EST 2003

Given:
Linux server: 192.168.1.1
Windbloze machine: 192.168.1.10

When I try to ssh or send mail to my Linux server from my windbloze machine,
it takes about a minute to connect unless I add an entry for 192.168.1.10 to
the Linux server hosts file. With the hosts name entry, the connection
happens right away.

Evidently ssh and sendmail do a reverse DNS lookup or something that causes
a big delay if there is no entry in the hosts file? Can someone explain what
is happening and why this is so?

Also, if the Windbloze address is assigned via DHCP, do I have to put a host
name for every possible IP address in the assignment block I'm using? This
seems too hard. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Mike