[ale] OT: if this won't make you want to puke....

Gregory C. Johnson MailReply at GregJohnson.Com
Fri Jan 17 19:46:31 EST 2003

Mmm, not to fan the flames, but from a tax management perspective dividends
are the last thing these guys want.  They're sitting on a nice fat pile of
near-zero basis long term capital gains, which means they pay "only" 20
cents on the dollar for every dollar sold, at their discretion, in the
market.

Dividends, on the other hand, are not discretionary and they're normal
income, which for these gus gets nicked at 40+ cents on the dollar.  This is
almost certain to at least double, and more likely triple, quadruple, or
more their tax bill, Further, though Washington State has no corporate tax,
the Feds already got a 35% cut of MS's income.  This means that for each
dollar MS pays in dividends, the Gubbmint gets SIXTY ONE CENTS!!!

Uncle Sam is the big winner here - Every year they win the Mirosoft Lottery
with numbers bigger than the biggest Powerball/Big Game/whatever
jackpots --- guaranteed.

-Greg