[ale] Help from kernel-mod gurus...

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 17 09:17:13 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:53:03PM -0500, da Black Baron wrote:
[...]
> What I need to know now is how does one upgrade one's system  to refelct
> the change from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19?  (i.e. make  everything  all cushy
> like you'd just installed the 2.4.19 kernel from a distribution disk, so
> that you've got your modules in /lib/modules/2.4.19, and your source
> reside in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19?  Because after I compiled the new
> kernel, freshly-patched to 2.4.19, and with the further patching done by
> the .diff file discussed here, the new kernel kept complaining that the
> mods in /lib/modules/2.4.18 were for the previous kernel image- and the
> modules were obviously not updated since even if I linked 2.4.18 to
> 2.4.19 it still complained...  Hmmmm...

You need to build and install your modules by going to the
/usr/src/linux directory and typing:
  "make modules && make modules_install"

The modules_install target will create the correct directory in
/lib/modules/<kernel version> and copy all the modules into the
appropriate places.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9