[ale] Trojan mpg123 alert

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Thu Jan 16 10:06:07 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 12:58, Geoffrey wrote:

> Hmmm, my 11 year old daughter installed Linux on her box (with me
> watching over her shoulder), but I would not count on her to NOT use the
> root login for such purposes without explicitly telling her.  <parental
> brag> Then again, she's not your average 11 year old, as she's reading
> at post high school level </parental brag>.

Well, I have to agree with you here... All of my children (ages 9 to 13
yrs old) use Linux and when they first started their curiosity
crashed/destroyed/gaggled/mangled about 10 installs. But because they
were children doing what children *should* be doing, I was (And still
am) very patient. But, I do not think that children using Linux on a
daily basis the status quo, but rather the exception....

> It's not always laziness, but often times just ignorance.  Folks used to
> the Windows approach don't have a good understanding of the issues.
>
> Also, I recall that one of the Java plug ins requires root to install it
> properly, and that's done from a browser.

Yeah, I know about the java plugging thing and root. Your right: It's
ugly. Every time I set up a new system where mozilla is gonna be used, I
sweat the java installation. Quite frankly, I will be thrilled when the
khtml engine is a little more mature (It's close!). With that said, I
can now log onto secure sites (For banking purposes and such) using the
khtml engine. It was not that long ago that you couldn't use the khtml
engine in this capacity. It's come a long way and is much leaner and
cleaner than mozilla (Which I don't even like. It's a piece of cross
platform compatible sh!t...).

Best

Marvin