[ale] Trojan mpg123 alert

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 19:10:07 EST 2003

"James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> writes:

> I really don't like seeing stuff like this for ANY operating system
> platform. I especially hate seeing it for Linux systems.
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/15/1042520656903.html
>
> <cut-n-paste>
>
> Linux trojan starts circulating
> January 15 2003
>

> An exploit for the Linux mpg123 mp3 player has started circulating,
> following the release of the code for the same by the Gobbles security
> group.
>
> Anti-virus software maker Symantec has christened it as
> Trojan.Linux.JBellz.
>
> The trojan arrives as a malformed .mp3 file and when played with a
> specific version of the mpg123 player, the code is executed. All the
> files in the home directory of the current user are deleted, recursing
> into subdirectories.

But this totally rocks! If it were a Windows virus, the
effect would be, "The trojan sends itself as an attachment
to all users in all Outlook address books it can find on
the system, then deletes all files on local hard drives,
kills your family, and burns your house to the ground."
Or something like that. Linux definitely looks good
here.

Cheers,

-- Joe