[ale] Esound questions...esd won't start on RH 8

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Jan 14 20:34:29 EST 2003

I was playing around with esd a bit trying to get remote tv going on my
laptop.  Didn't change any config files, just ran my own esd from cmdline.

Now, however, esd won't start for some reason.  I know it used to be
started with a flag that would tell it to free the device after 2 seconds.
 I also know that in the past, if I wasn't using sound, I didn't see esd
anywhere in the process list.  However, if I started something, say xmms,
that used esd  the process would start.

I've been looking for where this start is defined in tracking down the
problem, but can't find any mention of esd in any of the
/etc/rc.d/rc[0-6]*.d scripts.

Anyone know what might be going on?  This is on a Dell Inspiron i8200 with
Cirrus Logic/Crystal CS4205 audio controller.

Here's the error message I'm getting now when running esd from the cmdline:

[root at ocean jb]# esd
unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
unsupported playback rate: 48000
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.