Question about key size (Was: [ale] ALE PGP Keysigning Party Instructions)

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 14 10:46:42 EST 2003

A few months back, Dan Bernstein suggested that 1024-bit keys might not
be as secure as we all thought (more info is available here:
http://cr.yp.to/nfscircuit.html).  One of the things Bernstein claimed
was that it is possible to build a computer for about $1 billion that is
capable of brute-forcing 1024-bit keys.

So, should we be worried about 1024-bit keys?  I've had a PGP key for a
while now, but no one has ever signed it.  Should I revoke it and
generate a new 4096-bit key for the keysigning?

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9