[ale] video over serial

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 12 21:47:15 EST 2003

Now now now...  Its not quite that bad... The X protocol "compresses"
the data I believe, after the first screen it only sends the
differences.  I have actually done X over a dialup before (a long time
ago, just to play around) and it did work, but I recall the first screen
refresh taking several minutes before it displayed (this was to display
a netscape window).  After that it was not to bad, just so long as you
did not do any major moving of the window or whatever.

Besides, X will not send the entire screen (unless you do an entire
session over the link, that would be insane though) it only sends the
data contained in the window you are viewing.

Mike