[ale] ATI Tv Wonder +linux

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Jan 11 09:48:39 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 18:30, John Wells wrote:

> Thanks. right before I got your email, i got it working.  the only two
> settings I'm using are:
>
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> options tuner type=2
>
> I'll have to investigate the options you're using futher.  I assume their
> to tweak performance?

The msp3400 turns on stereo output. The i2c and the tvaudio stuff
insures that you have stereo output (Otherwise, it might say you have
stereo output, but you don't). i2c-proc provides information for the dsp
chips so they can fine tune themselves. In the modules.conf file,
assigning card = 63 tells bttv that the card is a tv-wonder card.
Tuner=2 means (You need to assign type 2 to both the bttv driver and the
tuner driver or programs may or may not recognize the signal as a ntsc
type and you'll end up having to manual assign it) ntsc input.

If you have 512MB or more memory in your machine, you may want to expand
shared memory above the default settings found in stock linux distro's.
Here is how I do it:

echo 0x7fffffff > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Also, if you really want to improve audio performance (This is really
good if you make a lot of audio cd's. No more skips!), enlarge the sound
buffers from 64k to 127k. If you are recording both audio and video at
the same time you *will* have dropouts if you don't do this. Also, as a
side note, application of low latency and preemtible kernel patches make
it possible to record more audio recordings but they don't improve
recording video with audio. So, patches will provide functionality, but
don't help with the actual recording of audio and/or video. So, if you
want to fix this problem, you hack the kernel. Now, this hack only
applies to the OSS version of the Soundblaster Live driver (It's the
card I use...). Since every sound card and every sound driver has a
different implementation of the following code, you will need to do some
searching in the drivers of other sound cards to find the right lines.
But, it will be there if you look. Anyway, for the soundblaster card,
edit linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1/audio.c and where it says:

if (bufsize >= 0x10000)

change it to say

if (bufsize > 0x40000)

In linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1/hwaccess.h

Change

#define MAXBUFSIZE 65536

#define MAXBUFSIZE 262144

In linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1/cardwi.h

#define WAVEIN_MAXBUFSIZE 65536

#define WAVEIN_MAXBUFSIZE 262144

Then recompile the kernel modules.

You can also make xfree86 faster (Which vastly improves video
performance). The problem is that xfree86 does not display advanced
pixmap rendering very fast. It stalls... You can fix this by adding the
following line to the xf86config file:
.

In the section "Device" area, add a line saying:

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

and restart the X server.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens