[ale] OT: toasting a CPU

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jan 8 19:54:55 EST 2003

I installed a package called i8kutils today to get access to Dell keys on
my laptop.  I knew it had a fan control utility packaged with it, but
didn't realize that by installing the package it would disable my fans
unless I specifically enabled them.  Shoulda RTFM'd a little further.

About an hour after booting, I checked the temp and it was 70 degrees
celcius.  Pretty damn hot by any CPU's standards.

I've been searching for maximum temps for Intel P4-mobile, but haven't had
any luck yet.  The system didn't shut down, and once I enabled the fans
temp dropped down to 39 degrees celcuis.

I'm just wondering if this could have done any damage to the CPU.  I'm
assuming that, since it's still working fine, I'm safe, but IANAEE.

Anyone out there who knows what effects this might have?

Thanks,
John