[ale] DDNS w/BIND9 + dhcpd3

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Wed Jan 8 09:59:48 EST 2003

Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just updated my DNS and DHCP server box to BIND9 and
> dhcpd3.0pl1, and now dynamic DNS updates don't work.

I don't know about the actual errors you're getting, but I've got BIND9 (9.2.1)
and dhcpd 3.0pl1 working together with dynamic DNS updates of dhcp clients.  I
know I had some trouble originally setting it up and the trick was the following
entries in my /etc/dhcpd.conf file:

# DHCP 3.0.1 /etc/dhcpd.conf

# The 3 lines below support Dynamic DNS updates
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-updates on;
allow-client-updates;
authoritative;

Also, you may need to make sure the rndc.key referenced in your /etc/named.conf
is valid.

> I've been looking for docs about this on the web, but
> haven't found anything useful yet - in fact, I couldn't
> find much in the way of BIND9 docs at all. If anyone here
> has a clue about this, please let me know.

I agree.  There's very little documentation on the web that covers setting this
up, but surprisingly, the man pages are pretty thorough -- 'man dhcpd.conf' in
particular.

Good luck.
                                Chris Egolf
              http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net