[ale] OT: killing a laptop

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jan 8 09:14:02 EST 2003

WWhile following documentation I found on a web site, I hit fn+f1 to enter
the bios while booted into linux (which I found odd, but it seemed to
work).  However, when I exited the bios, I just got a blank, black screen.

Couldn't get any response from the machine...fans were on, power was on,
but nothing.  Power button had no affect, and unlike my old Toshiba I
couldn't find a HARD reset button.

So, only thing I could think to do was jerk the battery out.  It worked,
and I'm now rebooted.

Wondering if this is a relatively safe way to recover from a situation
like this, or do I risk causing serious damage to the laptop?

Thanks!
John