[ale] DDNS w/BIND9 + dhcpd3

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 01:49:25 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I've just updated my DNS and DHCP server box to BIND9 and
dhcpd3.0pl1, and now dynamic DNS updates don't work.

(I want to be clear here: what I need is for my local boxes,
when they get their IPs from dhcpd, to end up in my local
name server's zone database so I can resolve names internally.
I'm not dealing with DynDNS.org or any of those places.)

Anyhow, this was working yesterday, under BIND8 and some old
version of dhcpd, but now whenever dhcpd tries to
deliver host data to named, named spews out a bunch
of log messages like "update failed: 'name not in use'
prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)" and "update failed:
'RRset exist (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied".
I've been looking for docs about this on the web, but
haven't found anything useful yet - in fact, I couldn't
find much in the way of BIND9 docs at all. If anyone here
has a clue about this, please let me know.

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka