[ale] e2undel output, where'd it go???

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 7 12:23:09 EST 2003

attriel wrote:
>>This was the case.  What I did to solve the problem was use screen and
>>turn on logging.  That provided me with the listing as expected.
>>

>>>        Probably what's happening is that it's seeing that stdout
>>>isn't a tty and going into some sort of batch/non-interactive mode.
>

> Are you trying to make it undelete everything, which is how it read, or
> are you capturing the data and running it through a filter before sending
> it back for actual undeletion ?

I needed to capture the list of inodes so I could select the ones I
wanted, but it was almost 10000 files, so the interactive approach of
entering each inode from the list was, obviously not workable.

> If the former, might check the docs to find out what e2undel's "batch"
> functionality is (since, apparently?, it was kicking into it already) ...
> It's possible that you could just let e2 do the work instead of bypassing
> it's default batch functionality to implement your own mechanism for
> producing the same functionality :o

Limited docs, but I've reviewed them and don't find a batch mode at all.

There was some quirky stuff with the interactive mode as well though.
It's supposed to list the user name of the file but it was blank.  When
I'd redirect to a file, the heading info did include the correct user
name.  I didn't think I was going to be able to recover any files
because it prompts for the user name.  In interactive mode, although the
user name is not listed, it accepts it when I enter it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...