[ale] IBM java virtual machines

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Tue Jan 7 11:05:21 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:

> I'm still curious as to what benefits are gained, if any, by using the IBM
> jvms.

It use to be that IBM had a much better JIT.  But since IBM doesn't have
an Intel 1.4.x JVM, I wouldn't know what the current standings are.  My
understanding is that there wasn't much difference between the two under
1.3.

You are right though... the fonts look like shit on Linux.  I don't know
why.  They don't look that way on Windows.  Perhaps the next JVM will
use the new font system and that'll solve that problem.

-andy

 S/MIME Cryptographic Signature