[ale] Speedfactory DNS question

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Jan 3 12:57:32 EST 2003

http://soa.granitecanyon.com is a free service that I found.  However, it
*seems* that it is not for the faint of heart i.e. you post your own zone
info instead of having some Sys Admin at a company do it for you.  So far
this looks like one of the best deals out there.  Google did find a few
others (I did not save the links) that I will look at.  Of course I could
just take an old throwaway box and set it up with tinydns or OpenBSD's
audited version of BIND (a rewritten version of BIND v4 without all of the
crap) since I only have 1 single static IP anyway.  My private network still
is small enough for host files so I am guessing it will a fun way to learn
more about DNS.

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/third-party.html is an interesting treatise on third
party DNS hosters if anyone is interested.  Written by Daniel J. Bernstein
of course - the man seems to have quite a few opinions on the Internet.

btw, I appreciate all comments on the dsl providers threads the past few
weeks.  I have decided to go cheap and go speedfactory, though I think that
speakeasy has more features (2 IP's, more web space 50 Mb vs. 30 Mb, web
configuration interface with some security, dns hosting, extra ip's, mail,
etc) and will seriously look at switching again in a year (if I am still in
IT).  Hopefully I won't have any serious regrets with speedfactory.

Greg Canter