[ale] dead trees for postgresql

greg at turnstep.com greg at turnstep.com
Fri Jan 3 09:46:31 EST 2003

> Looks like I'll be moving forward with Postgresql for this
> project (due to MySql's current lack of support for
> subselects).
>
> As I can't tolerate reading online for more than an hour, I'd
> really like to find a good book that will get me up to speed
> as quickly as possible.
>
> Any recommendations?

"PostgreSQL Introduction and Concepts" by Bruce Momjian was the
only book around for a while, but it is out of date now.

As a rule, pay close attention to the date of publication and
don't get anything published before 2002.

The only ones I found that really meet that criteria are:

"PHP and PostgreSQL Advanced Web Programming"
ISBN: 0672323826

This came out in June 2002 and is supposed to be very good,
even if you do not use the PHP part. If you are doing PHP,
get this one.

PostgreSQL
ISBN: 0735712573

This is the most recent book, but aimed towards developers,
and probably not what you want.

Sams "Teach Yourself PostgreSQL in 21 Days"
ISBN: 0672324830

Have not seen this, but these books are usually quite good and
this was published last month, so it should be fairly up to
date. This is probably the best thing to bring you up to speed.

Postgres also has a very good selection of mailing lists for
help, from beginner problems to SQL query help to a "hackers" list
where the developers hang out and can answer any problem you
have:

http://www3.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/index.html

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200301030944